Friday, June 10, 2011

Helper Project 1 - Post-Project Reflection

Name: Michael Phuong
Project Name: Music theory for kids
Group Members: Daryl Phuong, Michael Phuong

This project was very interesting to me and also very personal. I wanted to get students more involved with piano but it was difficult when they lacked the basic knowledge to understand the music and why composers choose certain chords, use dissonance, or do other seemingly strange things in music. All the students that participated became much better at piano after this project. After this project, I had imagined that the students wouldn't immediately have a very large effect but it seems that over the course of the project, many of the students also improved their playing skill as well. Many of them also became much more appreciative of music. Some really large problems came from students that were very distracted. When a student already knew what the project leader was teaching, that student would almost always begin to distract other students. These students may have been disruptions but, usually techniques similar to actual teachers, we were able to refocus many of these students by sending them outside of the room or other, similar punishments. For my next project, I'd like to continue taking an active role in the logistics of the project but I would also like to have a hand in the actual production part of the project. The other 3 of my leadership projects all focus around producing things, a study guide, a test, and a survey. For these next projects, I hope that I will be able to do more logistically, but also be able to produce something that is helpful to other students in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment