I am helping with a Senior project. This project involves teaching young pianists musical theory. I am essentially a secretary for the person in charge and I take notes on the teaching sessions as well as take photos. I also help to clarify points to individual students and I also teach students who won't learn anything from the session. This class is once a week over the course of a few months in preparation for a theory exam. The main point of this class, however, is to better prepare young pianists for piano lessons by helping them solidify their knowledge of chords, scales, and intervals. By having a better understanding of these things, these young pianists will be able to improve their playing ability.
Team Member Outline:
Name: Michael Phuong
Project Leader Name: Daryl Phuong
Project Name: Music theory for kids
Project Milestone dates: Students should have a solid knowledge of the Circle of 5ths by February 15th
Students should be able to identify and name intervals by March 15th
Students should be able to identify and name chords by April 15th
What is the objective of this project?
To help students in their piano lessons by first improving their knowledge of musical theory
How does your project align withour mission and goals as a class?
We are helping students learn to be able to apply their knowledge in a way that is more similar to what they are expected to be able to do in high school and in college versus telling students to memorize certain questions that is typical of an elementary school or sometimes a middle school course.
What is your role going to be in the project?
I will be taking notes at each session regarding what is taught, which students fully understand the concepts, which students are struggling, and examples that are provided. I will also be in charge of tutoring students that are lagging behind the main class and in some cases preparing more advanced students for more difficult material.
How are you and your group going to hold each other accountable for work getting done throughout the project?
We will have meetings after each theory session and check to see that my notes are accurate and to talk about how to accomadate struggling students and how to challenge the students that already understand the concepts.
What do you see as being th elargest obstacle in your way to success? What do you see as being an obstacle for your group?
My short temper may get in my way to succeed since I'll have to deal with younger students. As a group, students that refuse to learn and are constantly messing around during class will probably cause troubles for the project.
What is the plan for overcoming these obstacles?
I will make sure that I am calm and utilize other anger management techniques in order to prevent myself from exploding during class. To deal with the disruptive students, we will send them out of the classroom setting or put them aside from the main group and force them to study alone with my assistance in order to make sure that they stay focused.
No comments:
Post a Comment